Monday, January 5, 2015

And We're Back

As I predicted in yesterday's post, it was only a matter of minutes before we were back in the swing of things, barely even remembering that we were just getting back from eighteen days off. It was great to see my students and all of my co-workers today, but I wouldn't have argued if someone would have said, "Oh, let's take one more day of vacation." Just one more day to lounge around in comfy clothes, lying on the couch beneath a nice warm blanket and an even warmer cat, reading the day away.

But life doesn't generally stop for just one more day; it keeps us moving forward. And tomorrow always arrives whether we're ready for it or not.

Not. Definitely not.

Today was a very long day, as I knew it would be. But I had more than enough planned for my students, plenty to keep them busy. Or at least awake. I even decided to pull out one of my favorite activities to keep them engaged on our first day back. Text poetry...it never fails. [If you want to read more about this activity, you can read my posts here: Txt Ptry and More Txt Ptry.]

After explaining to my students that they would be translating one of the poems I gave them into text lingo, there was a raucous roar of approval. The excitement was built and I sent them on their way to work with their partners. While wandering around the classroom, I heard one of my students say, "This is the best assignment EVER!"

Yup...using text lingo in class always gets their approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment