Sunday, January 11, 2015

Imagine That

Where do ideas come from? Divine inspiration? Years of study? Pure luck? How did J.K. Rowling come up with the idea for those wonderful Harry Potter books? Were these ideas always with her, or did a switch suddenly turn on one day and whisper "Hogwarts" to her? Is it possible that there's an imagination gene and you're either born with it or you're not? Or are we all born with infinite imaginations but just lose the ability to use it over the years of our childhood?

I'm going to assume it's the last response. But if we lost the ability at some point, that should mean that we can regain it. Right? Well...how?

I used to draw when I was growing up. I drew a lot...and I was good. Really good. Time stopped mattering when I had a pencil in my hand. I imagine that's what it's like for creative people. I don't remember ever thinking I didn't have time to draw anymore or that I should stop drawing altogether. But, at some point, I did. I never picked up a pencil again. Why? I don't remember.

Every once in a while, I think to myself, "I should start drawing again. I always loved it." But something keeps me from trying. Lack of time? Or, and this is more likely, lack of faith in myself. Perhaps in this year of #Courage, I should bring out my sketchbook, grab a few pencils, and just get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment