Friday, January 2, 2015

In One Word

 
I've looked at this photograph many times in the years since the Tiananmen Square Massacre of 1989, and it never fails to move me. I am often moved by stories of courage in part because I feel that it is something I do not possess in abundance. Now, this does not mean that I am a coward. Not at all. What I believe it means is that there are areas of my life that could be improved if only I weren't inhibited by fear. Fear of failure, fear of success, fear of embarrassment. 

In the last few days I've noticed a few people in my PLN making references to the hashtag #OneWord. The more I read other people's blog posts, the more I became intrigued with the idea. Essentially, rather than writing a long list of New Year's Resolutions (which never work anyway), you choose one word to focus on throughout the year. A nice explanation of the idea can be found here: Don't Make a Resolution, Find a Word

I spent some time thinking about what my word should be for this year, but there wasn't any real decision that needed to be made. I knew, in my heart, that my word for 2015 has to be COURAGE. 

In preparing to write this post, I looked up some quotes on COURAGE. The one that really sticks with me comes from The Greatest:
He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
~Muhammad Ali
And that's what it all comes down to for me: being brave enough to take the risks that will help me to move forward and have the life that I've always wanted. I'm not talking about mindless, death-defying, somebody better buy me a casket, risks. No, I'm referring to those seemingly small, but oh so incredibly important risks:
  • Saying "no" when it's really uncomfortable, but saying "yes" might cost you a piece of your heart.
  • Saying "yes" when my comfort zone is screaming "no."
  • Telling my comfort zone goodbye...or at least "see you later...in shorter time increments."
  • Speaking up for what is right when everyone else is looking at their feet.
  • Doing what is best for me...no excuses.

Now that I have my #OneWord, I need to find something to remind me of it every day. Something for my desk at school or a necklace perhaps. I'll know it when I see it.

Happy New Year!





No comments:

Post a Comment