Thursday, January 15, 2015

People Are Weird

I went to the supermarket after work today, despite the fact that I really just wanted to go home and take a nap. I don't often go shopping on Thursdays, so I don't know if this was the regular Thursday crowd or if aliens had landed and started shopping at our local Safeway. Whatever the case may be, there were some, oh, let's say...interesting people there today. It got me thinking while I was walking up and down the aisles how many very different people there are in the world.

I mean, I can't imagine a day when I would ever consider wearing boots with yoga pants, but I found myself thinking, "But on you, honey, they totally work!"

They didn't really, but you don't want crazy people to suspect you're thinking negatively of them. Right?

When I got to the checkout line, the clerk picked up a piece of paper and said to me, "I mean, listen to my schedule..." and she proceeded to read her weekly schedule to me. Oh so many thoughts running through my mind. Did she mistake me for someone who works at Safeway? Someone she should be complaining to? Was I wearing a sign that said "Official Time Keeper"? When she finished complaining, I informed her that I was a teacher. "I work every day." I thought that would stop her complaining and get her to start ringing up my groceries.

I was wrong.

Instead, she started complaining about her sisters who are all teachers and who were just getting back to work after three weeks off, "whooping it up!" Why was she telling me all this? Why on earth did she think a total stranger would be interested in her work schedule? I would never think to do that, but for her it seemed incredibly important.

Like I said, so many very different people in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment